Sunday, June 10, 2018

Northeast Ohio Rocks! Artist of the Week June 2018

For the Week of June 10, 2018

For the week of June 10, 2018 Northeast Ohio Rocks! honors Judy Tompkins as Artist of the Week. Below Judy shares her story.




I have always had a passion for arts and crafts. Although I wasn't very good at drawing, I enjoyed sewing, crocheting and always like fixing things.

I started painting and hiding rocks about 1 1/2 years ago. I've never been lucky enough to find any yet, but my family members have found a few. I would have to say, including the 300 share100smiles, I've painted close to 1200 rocks.

Painting and hiding rocks is such a rewarding and worthwhile project. It warms my heart when i see my rocks have been found and I'm happy to bring a little happiness to someone else's day.


I love to paint just about anything on my rocks. Harry Potter, lil monsters, flowers etc. The ideas are truly endless. Thank you for choosing me as artist of the week. I am truly humbled.







For the Week of June 17, 2018


For the week of June 17, 2018 Northeast Ohio Rocks! honors Joyce Phillips as it's Artist of the Week. Below Joyce shares her story.


I started painting rocks with my grand kids, daughters and son-in-law in the beginning of July 2017. We were inspired after finding several rocks while out hiking. 

Before rock painting my arts & crafts were limited to small crafts with the grand kids or helping with school projects. I became obsessed with painting and was producing 10 - 12 rocks a day. 

In October, I became ill and was later diagnosed with a rare form of liver cancer & my rock painting slowed considerably. I had surgery in December and am now on chemo until end of July or early August. I still manage to paint a few rocks a few days each week. I like to try new ideas but I also enjoy letting the rocks speak to me and creating simple things like dogs, flowers, rainbows, collages and such. 

I have painted around 1500 rocks including 3 sets of 100 smiles and have found around 15. The members of this group are the nicest people. Everyone is so positive and encouraging which is so uplifting. Thank you for choosing me and rock on Northeast Ohio Rocks!



For the week of June 24, 2018 Northeast Ohio Rocks! honors Traci Sanders Moody as Artist of the Week. Below Traci shares her story.


Hello my name is Traci Moody and I am so excited to be the artist of the week! I love being a part of Northeast Ohio Rocks! because it allows me to relax my mind ( I am a High School Biology teacher) and dabble with crafts and creativity. I have "painted" and "hid" 485 rocks since March of 2017 including 1 set of 100 smiles. I say "paint" because I lack that artistic talent most possess in this group; instead I work with stickers and really only paint in the backgrounds. Ocean scenes are the best ha ha. Another way I skirt around my lack of painting abilities is to write puns. The cheesier the better! Even though my rocks are not museum quality I have seen first hand the smiles they bring. So if you are reading this and haven't participated yet because you don't think you are an artist, please pick up a brush and get started.I promise you, fun will be had by all. I am kind of a homebody, and therefore seldomly hide my own rocks. I usually give the rocks I create to my Mother in Youngstown to hide for me. She likes watching the group to see if our rocks get posted. I also love to share this experience with my students. They hide my rocks for me whenever they go on vacation for winter, spring or summer break. My students and I were so excited to see my rocks posted from students' trips to Iceland and Disneyland. I always have a few rocks on hand to pass out to family and friends at get togethers. Everyone gets something positive out of this group no matter what role you play: the painter, the hider, or the finder. My hashtag is #furbabiesrock because I am the Mother of 4 dogs and a mini pig. Although I create rocks for holidays and group specified themes, my love for wildlife is noticeable since animals are usually the subjects of my rocks.This group has opened my mind to arts and crafts and I have branched out and started a few different projects. I enjoy painting ceramics, making button art and lawn art /flowers (from tea cups and saucers). All in all this group has opened my eyes to new projects/ideas , introduced me to a plethora of kind people and has shown me just how impactful a small act of kindness can be. ( I have literally jumped for joy each of the 6 times I have found a rock) Thank you & Rock on!